Wednesday 17 May 2017

170 to 161

170. Can't Stay Away from You - Gloria Estefan

After 'Dr. Beat' and 'Bad Boy', it looked to me like Miami Sound Machine were going to disappear into the same Chasm as El DeBarge.   Gloria showed us all that there was another string to her bow when she came back (with Miami Sound Machine still in the title but taking a back seat) with 'Anything for you'.  A wonderful ballad followed up with another calypso hit in 1-2-3 and the awful 'Rhythm is gonna get you'.  However, she had her biggest hit since Dr. Beat, hitting number 7 with this superb song.  She kept on having hits until 1999 but none as good as this.





169. She Sells Sanctuary - The Cult

That guitar riff!! It doesn't matter that you can't understand a word being shouted throughout the song, it's just the raw energy that drags you along.  I had no idea what was going on and I still don't but I still stick it on when I'm in the mood for some moshing*

 
*Sitting on a chair listening to my Hi-fi stereo with a nice cup of coacoa

168. Dancing with Tears in my Eyes - Ultravox

Could've sworn this was a Midge Ure solo single - but the internet has proven me completely incorrect.  I love how there's like a four second introduction and it's straight into the Chorus - no messing about.  If ever a single was written to appeal to the masses, it's this.  No slow build, no teasing the emotions, just hit straight in the face with a cast iron chorus.  It's also one of those you reckon you can belt out on the Karaoke until you have to sing that first syllable.  Then you put the mike back in the holder and wander off to the bar.


167. Gold - Spandau Ballet

I actually thought, for a long while, that this was the greatest song ever written.  It usurped Heaven 17's Temptation at least.  It didn't take long before I started scratching my head at the lyrics and getting into Tears for Fears instead.  You're indestructible!  Tony Hadley was a wonderful front man; those suits and that stare down the camera lens - made you want to learn the words to every Spandau hit and go out and form a tribute band.  I always sounded more like Gary Numan drinking vinegar so that wasn't an option unfortunately.    If you're wondering where 'True' is on this list, it's not; I've never liked that song.


166. Where the Streets Have no Name - U2

There's not a huge amount to say about this that hasn't already been said a million times apart from, I didn't really get it at the time.  Bono and the boys on top of a building in New York, rock and roll stops traffic and all that.  I got it later of course and this song is just a non-stop juggernaut of guitar pop that I think every single bedroom guitarist tried to emulate but without 10000 effects on the guitar it just wasn't going to sound like Edge.  Never mind.


165. How Soon is Now? - The Smiths

'I am the Son and the Heir of nothing in particular.'  Whatever you think of Morrissey or The Smiths in general, you can't fail to be sucked into the atmosphere of this song for the entire four minutes.  I have to admit that I didn't actually hear this song until the late 90's when it was on the sound track for the film 'The Wedding Singer'.  I've since bought several Smiths albums and have become a convert. 


164. Sweet Dreams - The Eurythmics

This is the perfect example of a single you buy, take home and put on loop all afternoon.  The story behind how the bass line for this was written is interesting but you'll have to buy my book '1980's pop song facts' when it's published (follow me on twitterFacebook or go to my website to find out when) later in the year (or google it).  Annie Lennox won Best Female at the Brits about 60 times in a row, and it's easy to see why.  Nobody was performing this kind of vocal acrobatics in the charts back then.  Her vocal performance on 'There must be an Angel' is second to none too.


163. Cloudbusting - Kate Bush

Who doesn't like Kate Bush?  This song is by no means a conventional pop single but it definitely made a lot of people stop what they were doing and pay attention when they showed it on Top of the Pops.  The story behind it is fascinating as well, which makes it all the more listenable when you hear it for the fiftieth time in a row.  Then Utah Saints come along and destroy the entire thing.  Who agreed to that? Hope the money was worth it.


162. Sunset Now - Heaven 17

Bright in more ways than one this. The lyric "Sun crazed in our room. It was an endless afternoon", always made me feel happy - still does.  This ditty bounces along and cheers you up no end. I liked Glenn Gregory as a front man, he looked a bit unhinged and his teeth were massive. 


161. What is Love? - Howard Jones

What a follow-up single!  New Song was jolly enough but to follow it up with this gem is something every one hit wonder would be jealous of.  It'll be in your head for the next few hours now!

No comments:

Post a Comment